Emanuel Whitmarsh was originally a stonemason and was self-taught in violin making. He worked in Soho, London, from 1856 to 1885, making instruments and repairing for various dealers. Whitmarsh moved to Kentish Town Road, 1885, and to Hackney, 1887. He established at Dalston, 1908, when he had the assistance of his son, Edwin.
The violin we are pleased to offer is in exceptional, original condition and has a big, powerful tone. It bears its original label and is signed internally by the maker.